To install Jython Music (Windows, Mac, and Linux):
- Download the jythonMusic folder (71MB, last update Jan 7, 2016).
- Unzip the folder on your desktop (or elsewhere).
(Note: If Java is not already installed on your computer, install it from here.)
To run Jython Music programs, use the JEM editor (JEM stands for Jython Environment for Music).
- Go to the jythonMusic folder.
- Double-click on JEM.jar – this will start the editor, as shown below:
The JEM editor has buttons (and menus) for common operations, such as
- Run a program
- Stop (a running) program
- Create a New program (in a separate editor tab)
- Open an existing program (in a separate editor tab)
- Save a modified program
- Open an Interactive Console (to try Python commands before committing them into a program)
- Open editor Preferences (such as setting font and tab size)
Other Ways to Run Programs
You may also run Jython Music programs using the following ways. These are intended for more experienced users, as they involve more detailed setup. Also, they may not necessarily provide better performance.