T 04:00-06:45PM / LONG 220
An introduction to computing for students in the humanities, social sciences, and business. This course provides the student with the ability to understand and use emerging technologies effectively. Topics include basic computer technology (how computers work), applications (spreadsheets, databases), Internet subjects (communications, Web browsers, file transfers), and social issues (copyrights, how changes in technology affect society, ethics).
- Test 1: Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008
- Test 2: Tuesday, Apr. 8, 2008
- Final: 4-7pm, Tuesday, Apr. 29, 2008
- Scratch environment for creating interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art.
- Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
- Irfan View image viewer - a useful image manipulation utility.
- Python (for Windows or Mac OS X), and Python Imaging Library (PIL) (for Windows or Mac OS X).