Assigned Date: Friday, Oct. 21, 2016
Due Date: Friday, Oct. 28
Due Time: 12:20pm (10 mins before class)
Last modified on October 24, 2016, at 04:02 PM (see updates)
This is a group assignment - you must work in teams of 2 or 3. See course collaboration policy for details.
This may be the next phase of the semester project.
Continue development of an innovative user interface for an application utilizing a computer and/or a smartphone.
For this assignment you are to specify the following:
- User Scenarios: Develop at least three user scenarios that demonstrate how users may flow through the user interface to achieve their tasks. Each scenario is a story involving one of your user personas, which describes how that persona flows - in terms of tasks - through your app to achieve their goals. For example, think about the following brief outlines of different user scenarios for Amazon. Each of these would be used to create a separate scenario:
- searching for a particular item, looking at a few options, and saving something for later (but not buying)
- trying to return a purchased item
- looking through earlier orders for a missing invoice
- checking when something will arrive
- leaving comments for a purchased item
- Prioritized User Tasks: Create a prioritized list of tasks - 7 +/- 2 (or so) for your app.
- Use Cases: Organize these tasks into use cases.
These deliverables will help identify different, important user flows through your app.
NOTE: Your user interface will soon be developed to support and encourage these flows. This will bring us closer to a usable interface. One that users find natural and intuitive (i.e., no training, or searching required). Everything is were it needs to be, when a user wants it. Right in front of them!...
By now you have realized that everything builds on everything else. So, be very attentive and careful. Go back and update earlier things, as they are certainly getting refined. UI development is a living, breathing thing... Nothing is cast in stone, especially deliverables from earlier phases.
Produce a report (PDF), with the above outline.
- Application name, team names, class, date, etc.
Updated Google Doc
Now, go and update your Google doc to reflect the latest version of all your materials, as they have evolved through heuristic and other evaluation and re-thinking. Things get refined. This document should hold the latest version.
This will be evaluated also with this homework assignment.
- Your report should have sections that follow the above outline. If you include figures and illustrations, you should do so only if they give substantive help to the reader in understanding the concepts presented. You should avoid decorative graphics/pictures.
- As per course collaboration policy, there should be no discussion of any kind about this assignment (and possible solutions) with any person outside your team other than the instructor. You are not allowed to discuss/look at someone else’s solution (including material in books and the Internet) or show your solution to someone else outside your team other than the instructor.
- Include references on materials (other than the textbooks and handouts) you consulted to do the assignment.
Grading will be based on your ability to carefully and succinctly identify the above key points.
- Work for clarity, succinctness, and effectiveness.
- Hint: It might help to think of your report as a (meta) user interface, and your classmates as your end-users. What is their goal in reading your work? What tasks they would want to accomplish? Help them achieve those tasks.
Grading will also be based on the quality of your evaluation of others' work (e.g., 10% to 20% of your grade).
- Submit your report in class on the due date to be graded.
- Also upload it on OAKS in PDF format.
- Update your Google doc to reflect the latest version of all your materials, as they have evolved now. Very important!
To be eligible for full credit you must follow these instructions carefully.
"Any amount of work can be done in any amount of time... only the quality varies." ~Joao Meidanis