Assigned Date: Thursday, Sep. 23, 2009
Due Date: Wed, Oct. 7, 2009
Due Time: 11:00am
Last modified on November 02, 2009, at 03:27 PM (see updates)
This assignment focuses on:
- developing computer games using MIT's Scratch;
- using effective skills and strategies for working collaboratively;
- paper prototyping and user interface design;
- developing simple algorithms; and
- using appropriate critical thinking skills and problem-solving techniques.
This is a group assignment. You may discuss the assignment only with your group or the instructor.
Develop a computer game using MIT's Scratch.
To prepare, go over Scratch's Reference Guide (PDF). It is a good idea to print it and bring it to class.
Implement the game design you presented in class using Scratch. Remember, 20 hours of coding can save you 2 hours of design... So, further refine your design on paper (do storyboards, play the game using different pieces of paper, etc.) - you will not regret it.
You will submit your assignment at the beginning of class on the due date. Bring your project on a standard CDROM disk. Write the name of the game, class, etc. on it. Be prepared to demo it to the rest of the class.
The CD should contain:
- The name of the game, class, date, team names on its surface.
- A readme file - this should be the deliverable from Homework 1. Feel free to update it to reflect the latest details about your game.
- Format: MS word document (should be .doc and NOT .docx), or PDF, or JPG - a standard format that can be opened and printed.
- Your Scratch project
Before submitting the CD make sure everything is readable from it.
To receive full credit, you must include your names, date, class, and information on how to use your program and instructions on how to play the game in the Scratch Project Info window:
Your grade will be based on how well you followed the above instructions, and the depth/quality of your work. Also, each team member will get to evaluate their own contribution and that of others within the group.
The following is the best game submitted for this assignment.
Concept: A Terrorist who goes under the alias “STaRCHiLD” has planted a a bomb inside a large city office building. Hostages must be rescued. When the player finds the hostage and rescues him/her, a clue will be given to the player regarding the disposal method for the bomb. Finally, the bomb must be diffused in a specific manner or all is lost.
Team: Kenneth Longshaw, Bobby Goodrich, Adam Hartrum, Casey Jackson
(Click to play STaRCHiLD)