Assigned Date: Friday, Sep. 4, 2009
Due Date: Friday, Sep. 11, 2009
Due Time: 11:00am
Last modified on September 07, 2009, at 11:10 AM (see updates)
This assignment focuses on:
- developing computer games from scratch
- using effective skills and strategies for working collaboratively
- paper prototyping and user interface design
- using appropriate critical thinking skills and problem-solving techniques
This is a group assignment. You may discuss the assignment only with your group or the instructor.
Develop a 2D video arcade computer game.
Submit a typed page or two describing your game. Include the following:
- Names of team members
- Class, date, etc.
- Title of game
- Genre - 2D video arcade (already specified)
- Concept - a sentence or two describing the game
- Player(s) - either one (human) player (e.g. asteroid), or 2 concurrent human players (e.g., two-player pong)
- Objects - describe the objects (how many, what they do, etc.) This will be further refined later on.
- Goals - a couple of sentences describing the player's goals (big, intermediate, small) as they play the game
- Rewards - provide an outline of the rewards (big, intermediate, small) given to the player
- Controls - describe the user interaction controls. These should follow the actions that may be performed on game objects.
Remember to try and balance game challenge vs. reward structure.
Provide a screenshot or two (hand-drawings are fine). Document (annotate) the drawing(s).
You will submit your assignment at the beginning of class on the due date. Be prepared to demo it to the rest of the class. Be ready to invite/receive feedback from others. Be open to making substantial changes to what you have. The more useful feedback you get now, the better your final product will be.
Your grade will be based on how well you followed the above instructions, and the depth/quality of your work.