Section 90: TR 4:00-5:15pm / J.C. Long 221
An introduction to media programming. Students will be exposed to computer modeling and media transformations: images, sounds, music, and text. Assignments will mainly involve media processing and development in Python. Students will develop at least one creative artifact of their choice. Upon completion of the course, students will be able to model information and processes in their field of study.
Course is open to all majors. No previous programming experience required.
- Test 1: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 (practical)
- Test 2: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 (practical)
- Final: noon-3pm, Wednesday, December 13, 2006
- Richards R. (2001), "A New Aesthetic for Environmental Awareness: Chaos Theory, the Beauty of Nature, and our Broader Humanistic Identity". Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 59-95.
- Spehar, B., C.W.G. Clifford, B.R. Newell, and R.P. Taylor. (2003). "Universal Aesthetic of Fractals." Computers & Graphics, vol. 27, pp. 813-820.
- P. Prusinkiewicz and A. Lindenmayer (1990), "The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants", Springer-Verlag.
- ArtEscapes: Variations of Life in the Media Arts is an exhibition of art objects which are somehow dynamic and unpredictable, out of control, which can mutate and evolve, which can surprise us by an autonomy of their own and "try to escape" from their creators, giving us a flavor of aliveness.
- Worth, P., Stepney, S. (2005), "Growing Music: musical interpretations of L-Systems". EvoMUSART2005 – 3rd European Workshop on Evolutionary Music and Art, Lausanne, Switzerland, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Applications of Evolutionary Computing, LNCS 3449, Springer-Verlag.
Music and Sound
- Based on jMusic - a programming library for sound and music applications in Java (docs).
- Download Jython + jMusic bundle: jython and jMusic (4MB) or jython, jMusic and Java Runtime (16MB).
- MIDI: bing.py, myFavoriteMelody.py, stochastic.py.
- Audio: sonOfBing.py, audioReadWrite.py, audioVisualize.py, audioDrums.py (samples for hihat, open hihat, kick, and snare).
- L-Systems: l-system.music.py (requires stack.py, lsystem.py (docs)).
- Change frequency: audioChangeFrequency.py (try with sample of a 440Hz sine wave)
- Based on Python Media API:
- Python 2.4
- Jython Environment for Students for MS Windows. (Note: For other platforms, see the JES source site.)
- CPython with Media Support for MS Windows. (Note: For other platforms, see the CPython Media source site.)
- Python Imaging Library - supports many file formats, and provides powerful image processing and graphics capabilities:
- Irfan View image viewer - a useful image manipulation utility.
- PhotoMosaic facilitates very easy and fast creation of picture mosaics. The final image comprises about a thousand tiny images.
- PhotoFiltre is a complete image retouching program. It allows you to do simple or advanced adjustments to an image and apply a vast range of filters on it.
- Reflet makes it possible to generate simply and quickly an animation simulating waves effects and lake reflection.