Intro to Eclipse and Java Swing
This contains some tutorials and example programs that will help you get started with Eclipse and Java Swing.
- Install Eclipse.
- Install the Visual Editor plug-in.
(Note that this requires installation of the EMF and GEF plug-ins - follow directions on the download page.)
- Do this to test your installation.
GUI Development Tutorials
- See Michael Wainer's Building a Simple GUI with Eclipse's Visual Editor and Swing. In particular, work through this handout.
- See Cristobal Baray's intro on the model-view-controller (MVC) design pattern. Here is a summary.
Swing ADT References
- Explore the Visual Index to the Swing Components.
- See Sun's Swing Tutorial. In particular, browse sample code:
- Example One: Your First Swing Program (basic code)
- Example Two: SwingApplication (adding components)
- Example Three: CelsiusConverter (handling events)
- Example Four: An Improved CelsiusConverter (adding icons to buttons)
- Example Five: LunarPhases (layout managers)
- Example Six: VoteDialog (dialog boxes)
- How to Use Swing Components. In particular, see
- How to Use Containers
- How to Use Menus
- A Visual Guide to Layout Managers