Girls Experience the Joys of STEM

The fourth annual Girls’ Day Out event featured two days of engaging activities. On the first day, one of the main STEM events was a computer programming workshop in which 70 middle school girls learned to program in Scratch.  In keeping with the Computer Science Department’s philosophy of small class sizes, the class was split into four sections and taught by students Tim Maruhn, Jessica Mack, Laura Stevens, and department chair, Dr. van Delden.

The experience was rewarding for everyone involved.  The Computer Science Department appreciates the opportunity which is aimed at attracting more young women into the field.  Jessica Mack, one of the student teachers, expressed her excitement by saying, “It was a very uplifting experience because I was able to give younger girls the introduction to programming that I wish I had before college.  Tim Maruhn added, “Just watching the girls get really into the project was gratifying; their fascination with it took me back to what made programming special for me when I first started out.”

Day two featured a technology expo in which over a dozen organizations presented interactive exhibits to the participants. Several School of Sciences and Mathematics departments sponsored exhibits, including a breathtaking Chemistry Magic Show by Travis Varner and other members of the Alpha Chi Sigma chemistry fraternity.  The day ended with a discussion panel of women scientists.  Jennifer Brennan, a College of Charleston alumnus with a degree in Geology, was one of the inspiring participants of the panel.

Girls Day Out 2015For additional information on the event, please refer to the article at: http://www.live5news.com/story/29631198/two-day-camp-preps-lowcountry-girls-for-stem-careers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.